Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Personalities

I (naively) thought before I had children that I would be able to raise them in such a way that they would turn out just like I planned for them. You know, smart, witty, well mannered…like tiny little Angies. And while I do believe they are meeting all of those criteria so far, their personalities are so different. How does that happen?




Take Sydney, she does not want to break any rules. She usually checks with you first if whatever it is that she is thinking about doing is potentially naughty. Her favorite thing to do to make Mommy happy is to help clean the house and make lists.

Now, she has been known to be what Steve refers to as a silly heart. She prefers to be dressed in some sort of princess dress, fairy wings, or tutu at any given time. She can be a little flighty at times, even when she is trying to be helpful. For example, this is a typical conversation at our house:


Mom – Sydney, please go get (your shoes, a diaper for your brother, etc.)
Sydney – Sure Mom!
[Sydney dances away]
[15 minutes pass]
[Sydney comes back…empty handed]
Mom – Sydney, did you forget something?
Sydney – Oh, yea [cue goofy grin]. I’ll be right back.

Halas on the other hand is more of a ask-for-forgiveness kind of guy instead of an ask-for-permission guy. Whenever I hear “watch this” come out of his mouth, my first instincts are to a) sprint to wherever he is to catch him, b) get a bag of ice to put on his boo-boo, c) get a bag of ice to put on Sydney’s boo-boo. Sadly enough, after enough of these exercises, if you hand him a bag of ice, the first thing he will do is put it on his head. I guess that makes him a tiny little Steve.

Maybe it is a girl vs. boy thing. Whatever it is, it keeps us on our toes.

No comments: