Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ready or not…here I come!
















We are home with Halas Daniel Wise! He came a few days after his due date but when he decided it was time, he wasn’t joking around. Long story short, at 3:40 p.m. I sent a message saying that we were driving to the hospital with strong contractions. At 4:16 p.m. Halas was born (with a 20 minute drive between the text and arriving at the hospital). Let’s just say that we were cutting it close.

Now the long story…

I had been hoping that I wouldn’t have to be induced but I was scheduled for an induction on December 29th at 4:00. Since the little guy still wasn’t here, we headed to the hospital and they hooked up everything to start monitoring the baby and me before they started the induction. It turns out that I was already having contractions about 6 minutes apart, they just didn’t hurt so I didn’t know that’s what they were. I thought it was just the baby moving around. Since I was already starting the labor process, we decided to come home and let the little guy come when he was ready.

12 hours later, at 4:00 in the morning, the contractions were about 4 - 5 minutes apart and lasting for about a minute each. I knew that Sydney came fast when I was in labor for her so we went back to the hospital just in case. When we got there, the nurse said that my dilatation hadn’t changed any and the contractions still didn’t hurt. They gave me the option of going home until my water broke/contractions hurt or to wait 4 hours for the doctor to get in and break my water. I opted to go back home.

So Steve and I went back home, slept in, went out to lunch, and waited. Finally the contractions started to come on stronger to the point that I needed to start doing breathing exercises. At 3:30 p.m., Steve made the call that we should probably head back to the hospital. The contractions were still about 4- 5 minutes apart. After we got in the car, I sent a message via twitter to my family that we were on the way back to the hospital.

As we pulled up to the drop off area at the hospital at about 4:00 p.m., I was waiting for a contraction to end before I got out of the car. Before I had a chance to get out of the car, my water broke. Steve got a wheel chair for me, left the car in the drop off area, and rushed me up to the maternity floor. When we got up there they had me fill out paperwork and told us to wait for a nurse to take us back to a delivery room. We waited in the lobby for about 5 minutes where I was having contractions right on top of each other. Then I told Steve that I needed to PUSH. Luckily, a nurse walking by heard me and grabbed my chair and took me back to a delivery room. She gathered the available nurses to help get me ready.

As soon as we got in the room I told them that I really needed to push. They checked me and Halas was on his way. A nurse held his head in while another nurse found the nearest doctor (he was on his way to a C-section). As soon as the doctor came in, he gave me the go ahead to push and Halas was here (4:16 p.m.).

Halas Daniel was born at 8 pounds, 10 ounces, and 20 inches long.

Here are some pictures!

No comments: